Fire Extinguishers work on the principal that if any one of the sides of the fire triangle is removed the fire will be extinguished
- Fuel – combustible substance i.e. Solid, Liquid, Gas
- Heat – energy
- Oxygen – Supports A chemical reaction
If any of the above are missing, fire cannot start.
If any of the above are removed the fire will be extinguished.
Methods of extinguishing fires
- Starvation – depriving fire of fuel i.e. Combustible materials –Removing the fuel side of the triangle of fire.
- Cooling – depriving fire of heat i.e. Water will absorb heat –Removing the heat side of the triangle of fire
- Smothering – depriving fire of oxygen –Removing the oxygen side of the triangle of fire
Classification of Fires
Fires are broken up into different classes depending on their fuel source. Fire Extinguisher will have the class of fire they are suitable to fight clearly indicated on them.
Know your extinguisher
Not all fire extinguishers can be used on all fires. It is important to know which type of extinguisher is suitable for the fire you are dealing with, below is a table to help you understand fire extinguishers better
How to use a Fire Extinguisher
Remember Only fight a fire if it is safe to do so. Never turn your back on a fire, always have an exit plan. A fire extinguisher is intended for use on small fire only. If in doubt
Get OUT, Stay OUT & Call the Fire Service OUT
When using an extinguisher remember the word PASS
Pull – pull out the pin
Aim- aim at the bass of the fire
Squeeze- squeeze the handle
Sweep – sweep from side to side